Sunday, October 16, 2016

Political climate

I learned when I was very young that certain topics of conversation are best avoided in public settings. These topics include, but are not limited to, religion and politics.

I've made the mistake of bringing these topics up in unfriendly settings numerous times. However, I wasn't always aware that the setting would be unfriendly. I hate the heated debates these two particular topics seem to stir up more often than not.

I'm struggling this year.

I am struggling with my own religious beliefs as well as my political point of view. I've always prided myself on being willing to listen, giving anyone the opportunity to express their own beliefs and convictions.
I listen to, and often reflect on, what I hear them say.

I try to ask questions to help me understand why they think or believe a certain way. I feel it is only fair to consider their background and experience that have helped to formulate their perspective.

This is a very tumultuous task for my brain. Especially if the person is not very well known by me. My brain creates a life synopsis of the person in order to justify their convictions. Even if those convictions are dramatically differing from my own.

The current TV shows I sometimes watch often contain story lines greatly influenced by the many different characters' religious beliefs and/or political affiliation. Oft times these topics are a source for comedic effect or dramatic shock value. I watch and listen while squirming inside.

The information I hear and see make me reflect on my own beliefs and political leanings. I question what I value most. I am plagued by these thoughts in my dreams as well as in my fleeting undisturbed moments throughout my day.

I want to act on my own beliefs and convictions. But, I do not want any of my political convictions to negate my religious beliefs. I am torn.

It seems that my soul, mind, and body are in a contestant storm created by the current pressing political climate.

I desire peace.
Peace of mind.
Peace of body.
Peace of soul.

My hope for peace is constantly under attack by new information. I feel all of it is literally harming my brain.

What do you do to create calm and peace within yourself?
I am in desperate need of suggestion via comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment